Westlaw Japan Product Overview
Westlaw Japan is a comprehensive online legal information service which covers a wide variety of past and latest legal information and reference materials needed for legal research—legislations, cases, decisions, books and journals, bibliographies, news articles—along with sophisticated search and display functionalities.
Legislations and Case Database for Legal Professionals
- Our legislation content covers existing laws, abolished laws, unenforced laws, and legislative bills of all fields to support the work of all legal professionals from practitioners to researchers.
- We provide the largest case database in Japan covering more than 300,000 cases dating back to the prewar era (as of March 2021). Over 90% of our cases come in full-text and more than 83% with abstracts. Users have access to edited bibliographic information, commentaries, relevant provisions, relevant cases, information on judges, news, and other value-add information. Links to books and journals including the Saiko Saibansho Hanrei Kaisetsu (Supreme Court case commentaries) helps users to deepen their understanding on cases.
Comprehensive Legal Check Support for Governmental Agencies and Corporate Legal Affairs
- Our alert function which notifies users of up-to-date legislative amendments and latest information on cases via email is provided as a standard function. We provided comprehensive support for your risk and compliance management.
- Direct connection to your internal network enables all departments to use our service, not limited to legal affairs.
- In addition to our extensive legislation and case information, we provide useful commentary articles including decisions from the Japan Patent Office and other intellectual property-related contents, Rodo Keizai Hanrei Sokuho (flash report on labor cases), NBL, and Shiryoban Shoji Homu.
Extensive Legal Information for Universities and Educational/Academic Research
- We provide more than 300,000 cases dating back to the prewar era (as of March 2021). Users have access to full-texts of cases, accurate and concise abstracts, bibliographic information, commentaries, relevant provisions, and other value-add information. Links to books and journals including the Saiko Saibansho Hanrei Kaisetsu (Supreme Court case commentaries) are also available for users to deepen their understanding on cases.
- Magazines indispensable for education and research are also provided, such as Hanrei Times, Jurist e-book version, Hanrei Hyakusen (100 cases), and Hogaku Kyoshistu (law class). Links enable users to jump from cases to commentary articles and simplify the process of citing cases when writing academic papers.
- Valuable materials from all issues of The University of Tokyo Law Review, Kyoto University’s Kyoto Law Review, Japan Bar Association’s Rule of Law, Choyokai’s Toki no Horei (commentary on laws and ordinances) and others are included.
Chose the package that suits you best—WLJP Basic Package for individual users or the more comprehensive WLJP Pro Package for corporate users.